Introduction to Concept Art - July 2022
This is our second holiday workshop in 2022!
During this 2-day holiday workshop, Simon will give students an introduction to his professional workflow.
The first day will be an introduction to drawing in Adobe Photoshop with a series of small projects that students can follow along live in class. Simon will cover the following principles:
- Intro to Photoshop
- Shape Design
The second day Simon will take a thumbnail all the way though to a finished piece of art and share with students the process of how to take something from a quick sketch and thumbnail to a final colour painting. You will be able to follow along with Simon to create your own concept art piece for your portfolio. He may incorporate some 3D tools in the workshop using Blender on the second day.
This workshop is perfect for those who are curious about concept art and want to build on existing skills.
What you will need:
We recommend that workshop attendees download the software prior to the first day so that you can give your full attention during the workshop.
- A laptop and drawing tablet (eg. Wacom and Huion have good drawing tablets) so that you can follow along as we do not supply any equipment. *Note* iPads are not recommended as they don't run Photoshop very well, but you can draw and paint with them (using procreate) and take notes if you wish.
- Adobe Photoshop - You can take up a 7-day trial if you haven't used it before and would like to try it out. It will ask you for payment details when you sign up, however if you don't wish to continue using it after the workshop you can just cancel it. Alteratively you may wish to use another painting program such as Manga Studio, Krita, Corel Painter, Heavypaint, or Gimp. Simon will be doing his demonstrations in Photoshop.
- Blender (3D Program). This is a free program. Simon will show you how you can combine simple 3D skills to help improve your 2D drawings and designs.
WHEN: Tuesday July 12 & Wednesday July 13, 2022.
TIME: 10:00AM - 4:00PM (ADL Time) There will be a break for lunch - the time will be announced during the workshop.
WHERE: CDW Studios, The Myer Centre Adelaide, Level 4 of 14-38 Rundle Mall, Adelaide SA 5000.
ONLINE: Link to live stream will be sent out to registered emails one day prior to the workshop.
COST: $120 per student (inclusive of both days)
Things to keep in mind...
- The recommended minimum age for holiday workshops is 14 years old, and the content is aimed at beginner to intermediate level artists.
- Workshop payment is non-refundable.
- Food & beverages are not included. BYO lunch (fridge and microwave available on site) or purchase food from the food court on the lower ground floor of the Myer Centre.
- We are currently observing COVID-19 safety procedures recommended by SA Health.
- Use glass atrium lifts 14 and 15 to access level 4 (these are the lifts closest to the King William Street side of the building).
- The whole workshop is recorded for participants.
This workshop is available both in-person and online. If you choose to take the class online, it is essential you inform us via [email protected] on enrolment to ensure you receive a private link to the live stream.
To sign up for the workshop, click the link below and you will be required to complete a registration form. Full payment is due on registration. Once you have completed the sign up, you will be sent a confirmation email by CDW Studios acknowleding receipt of your registration. If you do not receive anything, please email [email protected]Register Now