Intro to 3D
This short course is an introduction to learning 3D in Blender. You will be given an introduction to different types of techniques found in 3D software that you can use to build and render entire scenes in 3D.
Intro to 3D is recommended for students with beginner to intermediate 3D skills and experience and will give you the perfect foundation for your art career. The most important requirement is the desire to learn and create, using new software.
The goal of this workshop is to introduce and teach you all of the core principles required to create a cyberpunk underground hideout.
This 12 week online course runs concurrently with Flinders University semesters. Including the two-week mid-semester break, it runs for 14 weeks in total. The course will consist of:
- 12 weekly pre-recorded lectures & demonstrations that will guide you step by step through your projects.
- 6 assignments over the course of 12 weeks (one submitted each fortnight, prior to feedback session).
- *Live fortnightly 3hr feedback webinars where you will receive feedback on your progress.
Topics covered over the 12 week course include:
- Learning how to create a scene from a brief.
- Collecting references.
- Introduction to Blender Interface
- Modelling a prop.
- UV texturing, the easy way.
- Creating 3D buildings from 2D texture sheets.
- Lighting, cameras & rendering.
- Creating pipes & signs.
- Creating Fog.
Hardware requirements for the course are:
- Laptop or Desktop PC or MAC (MacBook Pro or i7 PC/laptop with 16GB RAM are recommended).
- Wacom tablet is recommended not required. Any size is good.
- Headset/Microphone so that you can chat with the instructor in fortnightly webinars.
- Notepad and pens/pencils for note-taking.
*As part of the course you have the option to participate in Live Streamed Feedback Sessions. These are live feedback webinars, held fortnightly, with your industry instructor will provide you with direct feedback on your work. If you can’t attend the session via webcam when it’s live, you will still be able to watch the recorded sessions in your own time. Times listed are ACST (UTC +9:30).
What happens after you sign up?
Once you sign up you will receive:
- A receipt email from Flinders Online Payments for the course.
- An online short course confirmation email from HASSenquiries@flinders.edu.au, informing you that your registration has been received.
- An email from AccessNow@flinders.edu.au asking you to set up your authentification name (FAN) and password for the FLO site, which is the computer system used for online learning. You will need to follow the instructions carefully to activate your account.
You will be granted access to the FLO site within 2 hours of activating your FAN, after which you’ll be able to view the FLO dashboard and your course.
All tutorials and exercises will be visible from the first day of the first week.
Instructor Bio: Simon Scales
Simon Scales is both the founder and director of CDW Studios, and is also an instructor across a range of subjects in the Bachelor of Creative Arts (VEED).
Simon has been working in the industry for over 15 years across a number of areas, from illustration, environment design, to matte painting. His clients have ranged from THQ, EA Games, LEGO, Mighty Kingdom, Animal Logic, Warner Bros, and T T Games, to name a few.
Since opening CDW Studios’ doors in 2011, his focus has been to create a world class education facility based in Australia. Simon has facilitated many masterclasses with some of the absolute best artists in the world coming out to Australia to share their wealth of information with students attending CDW Studios.