Intro to Character Design
This short course is an introduction to learning the basics of creating characters, and drawing digitally. You will learn different types of drawing and rendering techniques that you can use to create compelling character designs. This course is aimed at beginner to intermediate artists and will give you the perfect foundation for your art career.
A Character Designer creates the look and feel of characters for video games, film, animation and illustrations. Strong drawing skills and the fundamentals are required to create any type of realistic or stylised characters.
At CDW Studios many of the workshops use the principles taught in character design. This includes perspective, anatomy, drawing construction, drawing simple forms in 3D space, colour, design principles, storytelling and drawing in Photoshop.
This 12 week online course will consist of:
- 12 weekly pre-recorded lectures & demonstrations that will guide you step by step through your projects
- 6 assignments over the course of 12 weeks (one submitted each fortnight, prior to feedback session)
- Live fortnightly 3hr feedback webinars where you will receive feedback on your progress. (see below)
Topics covered over the 12 week course include:
- Construction & drawing forms
- Drawing poses, faces & hands
- Communicating feeling through gesture
- Shape design & style
- Basic rendering with colour to create a finished character
Tuition Price: $950 AUD.
Hardware requirements for the course are:
- Laptop or Desktop PC or MAC (MacBook Pro or i7 PC/laptop with 16GB RAM are recommended).
- Wacom tablet is recommended not required. Any size is good.
- Headset/Microphone so that you can chat with the instructor in fortnightly webinars.
- Notepad and pens/pencils for note-taking.
- Adobe Photoshop