Intro to Digital Painting/1
Throughout this workshop you will learn digital painting skills in Photoshop. Intro to Digital Painting is a prerequisite for our more advanced courses including Digital Painting 1 and Environment Design for Games. This workshop will introduce you to the fundamentals of painting digitally. You will learn the interface of Photoshop and from there learn about composition, value, colour theory, observation, texture and lighting.
This course is aimed at beginners and will give you the perfect foundation for your art career.
Each week you will watch a demo of the instructor painting live, you are welcome to paint along with the instructor and ask questions. After each class you will receive your homework assignment for the week, and at the beginning of each class you will receive feedback on your work.
Topics that will be covered throughout the 12 week workshop:
- Learning photoshop interface and how to paint on your Wacom tablet.
- How to generate ideas and gather reference.
- What is shape design and why it's important.
- Composition and how to create compelling paintings.
- Introduction to perspective.
- Learn about painting with value and the importance of colour theory in your work.
The hardware requirements for the workshop are:
- Laptop (MacBook Pro or i7 PC laptop with 16GB RAM are recommended).
- Wacom tablet. Any size is good.
- Notepad and pens/pencils for note-taking.
Simon Scales is a freelance video game concept artist and matte painter based in Australia. He is both the owner of CDW Studios as well as an instructor for various courses. Since 2000 Simon has provided key concept art and matte-paintings for the LEGO Group. He also worked on the game DeBlob 2: The Underground for THQ, and has developed concept art for numerous video game companies and publishers. These include End Game Studios and Blue Tongue Entertainment. Currently Simon is working on multiple IP's for CDW Studios.