Vehicle & Mech Design 1
Learn the fundamentals of hard surface design using both 2D and 3D techniques to develop a good sense or perspective, an understanding of mechanics and bring character to mechs and vehicles. Each week you will watch a demo of the instructor painting live, you are welcome to follow along with the instructor and ask questions. After each class you will receive your homework assignment for the week, and at the beginning of each class you will receive feedback on your work.
Topics that will be covered throughout the 12 week workshop:
- How to generate ideas and gather reference.
- Sketching efficiently with form and perspective
- Incorporating believable mechanics
- Creating hard surface designs with character
- An efficient 2D/3D workflow
- Simple material rendering in Photoshop
The hardware requirements for the workshop are:
- Laptop (MacBook Pro or i7 PC laptop with 16GB RAM are recommended).
- Wacom tablet. Any size is good.
- Notepad and pens/pencils for note-taking.
Ned is an Adelaide based concept designer and illustrator who has worked in the entertainment industry for more than 7 years. He specialises in pre-production pitch design, world building and environment design. His clients include Bosskey, Technicolour, Wizards of the Coast, 20th Century Fox and Legendary and Ridley Scott Associates. Throughout his classes Ned focuses on the fundamentals of idea development for film, games and animation and efficient visual storytelling as well as the core concepts of draftsmanship and design.